Real Intimacy // Dick Herman
September 25, 2018
Can you remember a time when you felt most spiritually connected to Christ?
It’s important that we strive to have real faith by having real intimacy with the Lord.
Why is it important to have intimacy with God?
- Without Him we are helpless
- John 15:5: “I am the vine you are branches, apart from me you can do nothing”
- He is where our source comes from. Without Him we are like branches without their source of life
- We are being resourced for His work
- We can’t give out what we don’t have
- Matthew 28:19-20: The Great Commission; “go and make disciples…I am with you always”
- He has much to say to us
- Matthew 11:28-30: “come to me, I will give you rest…learn from me…my yoke is easy, and my burden is light”
As much as we desire to live in real intimacy with Jesus, Satan is there to try and prevent that. We have to fight for intimacy with God.
How the enemy keeps us from intimacy with God:
- Distracted lifestyle
- If he can’t make you bad, he’ll make you busy
- We make time for the priorities in our lives.
- What will we wish for when we are old and our days are numbered? Higher GPA? No. Promotion? No.
- We will most likely wish for more time with our loved ones and time in prayer with our God.
- Deception “I’m okay living the way I am” mentality
- (John 8:32, 44, John 10:10)
- This is the character of Satan. His nature is deception and he’s a liar.
- Just didn’t know
- (Psalm 34:8)
- God desires for us to taste and see that He is good!
A.W. Tozer “The Pursuit of God” quote
Esteemed God-connectors tend to pray by:
- Isolating themselves
- Quiet and dedicated space
- Instrumental worship music
What can real intimacy look like?
- Create space
- Invite Jesus
- Obey what He says